Thursday, July 1, 2010

Corn Bread Stuffing with Sage and Sausage



I used to go to the pool at 5:45am to "swim" with the old ladies in the therapy pool after I injured my back. We would talk about anything and everything. It was around Thanksgiving time that I told one lady in particular that I was in charge of making the stuffing. It turned out, I talked to the correct woman! I have to admit, I asked her because she was from the South (you could tell by her awesome accent). She asked me a few questions and in no time she was spouting off an ingredients list. I don't cook with measurements anyhow so this method of telling me the recipe worked well :) For all intents and purposes of letting people know the recipe I have had to come up with some measurements but it's really easy and is a for sure crowd pleaser!

2 pkgs. of Marie Callendar's Corn Bread mix, made per directions and crumbled
1 c. fresh chopped sage
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 pound Italian sausage, loose, not links (or more if you prefer a meatier stuffing)
4-6 c. chicken broth (I use my own home made broth, it adds an awesome flavor!)
1 onion, chopped

Make corn bread as per directions on box. Crumble and set aside. (You can actually use ANY corn bread mix, but the Marie Callendar's is the BEST tasting with this recipe!)

While cooking Italian sausage, add chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook until meat is browned and onion is transparent. Drain excess fat.

Mix corn bread, meat mixture, and fresh sage. Stir thoroughly. Add chicken broth to desired consistency. Remember, it'll dry out a little when it's baked, so a little "too much" is ok! Pour mixture into a 11"x13" baking dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for an hour! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment